Magui RF / Shutterstock
Bringing a brand new cat into your property shouldn’t be so simple as selecting the primary lovable kitten you discover. If you wish to be a pet mum or dad to one of many two million cats adopted from animal shelters every year, you must first take into consideration whether or not you’re capable of decide to the duty of caring for a cat, financially and emotionally. In case you are, do your analysis to search out the proper cat for your loved ones, dwelling, and way of life. Learn on to find out about what to contemplate when on the lookout for the finest adoptable cat for you.
What elements ought to I take into account when selecting a cat?
Each cat is completely different, so it’s essential to consider what you’re on the lookout for in a cat earlier than scouring on-line adoption listings. Beneath are only a few elements to contemplate.
- Age: A playful kitten would require extra supervision, whereas an grownup shelter cat may go higher for a busier way of life or a house with kids.
- Persona: If you’d like a cat with a sure temperament, you’re higher off selecting an grownup cat, as kittens’ personalities are onerous to find out. Determine if you need a cuddly and quiet lap cat or an energetic feline who will hold you busy.
- Exercise stage: A extra energetic cat will want frequent playtime and train, however you probably have a busy schedule, you might wish to select a calmer companion who doesn’t thoughts spending time alone.
- Temperament: Properties with kids ought to take into account relaxed, easy-going cats. When you’ve got a quieter dwelling, a shyer feline could also be a great match.
- Breed: Many cats in shelters are combined breeds, but when their breed is understood, that data might assist provide you with some thought of their general temperament.
- Coat sort: Lengthy-haired cats are a bit of extra high-maintenance, requiring frequent brushing to keep away from matting. When you don’t wish to continually groom your cat, choose a short-haired feline.
- Well being: Most cats in a shelter will possible have a clear invoice of well being, however make sure you ask the workers any questions on a cat’s particular wants or well being historical past.
- What if I’ve different pets at dwelling? When you’ve got different cats or canine at dwelling, ensure to decide on a cat who has interacted with these animals earlier than. Be ready to introduce your new cat to your present pets slowly and punctiliously.
How can I make sure the cat’s well being and medical historical past are in good situation?
The animal shelter or rescue workers is aware of their pets properly and may let you know all a couple of cat’s medical historical past and present well being. Whenever you undertake a cat, the shelter will offer you their full medical information so you recognize which vaccinations your pet nonetheless wants and any prior well being points they might have. Ensure that to schedule an appointment together with your vet ASAP after taking your cat dwelling to determine care and schedule their subsequent vaccinations.
How can I decide a cat’s character in a shelter or rescue setting?
Earlier than you select a cat, you must take time to get to know any cat you’re concerned with. Fortuitously, many shelters and rescues have rooms the place you’ll be able to spend time with cats to slender down your selections from all these candy faces. Comply with these tricks to study extra about choosing the right cat for you, even in a shelter setting.
- Spend time with the cats: Go to with all adoptable cats to see which of them seize your consideration. Discover how every cat responds to you, and if there’s a specific cat that steals your coronary heart, see if the shelter has area so that you can spend one-on-one time collectively. Be sure to know the way to choose a cat up earlier than trying to take action.
- Ask questions in regards to the cats’ personalities and histories: Some cats get a bit of timid when new folks are available, however the shelter workers can let you know how they act once they’re most comfy and reply your questions on a cat’s background.
- Comply with your intestine intuition: Chances are you’ll know which cat is best for you simply by feeling a particular connection. Take note of and belief your instincts.
What if the cat’s conduct presents challenges after adoption?
How a cat acts in a shelter interplay could also be completely different from how they act if you lastly carry them dwelling. Keep in mind that each grownup cat in a rescue or shelter has a historical past and will take a while to really feel comfy. Use the following pointers to make sure that your cat has the most effective alternative to develop into a contented, wholesome, and loving pet:
- Be affected person: Know that it may take your cat weeks and even months to adapt to their new dwelling and life.
- Create a secure area in your cat: Arrange a room in your house that’s solely the cat’s area till each you and your cat are prepared for them to discover the remainder of the home.
- Spend time together with your cat: Your cat will let you know once they wish to be petted with a delicate nudge of the pinnacle. Allow them to set the tempo in your interactions and spend time with them whereas nonetheless respecting their area.
- Think about skilled assist: In case your cat’s conduct is simply too difficult to deal with by yourself, take into consideration consulting a cat behavioral specialist. You may also attain out to the shelter to ask for steerage.
How can I guarantee a profitable long-term relationship with my new cat?
One of the simplest ways to create a optimistic relationship together with your new cat is to start out off proper. Let your cat cleared the path on the subject of interactions like petting and snuggling. Take note of their physique language and cues and ensure to fulfill all their wants, akin to feeding your cat a high-quality and nutritious diet, holding their litter field clear, and offering loads of toys and playtime for psychological and bodily stimulation.
Take time to consider what you need in a cat and the way your pet will finest match into your property and household. Then, if you’re able to undertake, you’ll be able to hold a watch out for a cat that may really feel comfy in your family. And with endurance, time, and, after all, love, you’ll be able to assist your new pet really feel at dwelling and luxuriate in the advantages of cats as pets for years to come back.