I’m not a Dwelling Assistant skilled, but it surely’s clearly an enormous and highly effective ecosystem. I’ve interviewed the creator of Dwelling Assistant on my podcast and I encourage you to take a look at that chat.
Dwelling Assistant can shortly grow to be a passion that overwhelms you. Each object (entity) in your own home that’s even remotely related can grow to be programmable. The whole lot. Even individuals! You possibly can declare that any identify:worth pair that (for instance) your telephone can expose may be consumable by Dwelling Assistant. Questions like “is Scott dwelling” or “what’s Scott’s telephone battery” may be related to Scott the Entity within the Dwelling Assistant Dashboard.
I used to be amazed on the gadgets/objects that Dwelling Assistant found that it might automate. Lights, remotes, Spotify, and extra. You may discover that any internally related gadget you could have probably has an Integration accessible.
Temperature, Gentle Standing, positive, that is simple Dwelling Automation. However integrations and third get together code may give you particulars like “Is the Residing Room darkish” or “is there movement within the driveway.” From these constructing blocks, you may then construct your individual IFTTT (If This Then That) automations, combining not simply two methods, however any and all disparate methods.
What’s one of the best half? This all runs LOCALLY. Not in a cloud or the cloud or anybody’s cloud. I’ve obtained my stuff working on a Raspberry Pi 4. Even higher I put a Energy Over Ethernet (PoE) hat on my Rpi so I’ve only one community wire into my hub that powers the Pi.
I imagine establishing Dwelling Assistant on a Pi is one of the best and best technique to get began. That stated, you too can run in a Docker Container, on a Synology or different NAS, or simply on Home windows or Mac within the background. It is as much as you. Optionally, you may pay Nabu Casa $5 for distant (exterior your own home) community entry through clear forwarding. However to be clear, all of it nonetheless runs inside your own home and never within the cloud.
OK, to the primary level. I used to have an Amazon Ring Doorbell that might combine with Amazon Alexa and once you pressed the doorbell it will say “Somebody is on the entrance door” on our all Alexas. It was a stunning little integration that labored properly in our lives.
Nonetheless, I swapped out the Ring for a Unifi Shield G4 Doorbell for numerous causes. I do not need to pump video to exterior companies, so this doorbell integrates properly with my current Unifi set up and information video to a neighborhood onerous drive. Nonetheless, I lose any Alexa integration and this good little “somebody is on the door” announcement. So this looks as if an ideal job for Dwelling Assistant.
Here is the overall todo record:
- Set up Dwelling Assistant
- Set up Dwelling Assistant Neighborhood Retailer
- This allows third get together “untrusted” integrations straight from GitHub. You may want a GitHub account and it will clone customized integrations straight into your native HA.
- I additionally suggest the Terminal & SSH (9.2.2), File editor (5.3.3) add ons so you may see what’s taking place.
- Get the UniFi Shield third get together integration for Dwelling Assistant
- NOTE: Unifi Shield help is being promoted in Dwelling Assistant v2022.2 so you will not want this step quickly because it’ll be included.
- “The UniFi Shield Integration provides help for retrieving Digicam feeds and Sensor knowledge from a UniFi Shield set up on both an Ubiquiti CloudKey+, Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine Professional or UniFi Shield Community Video Recorder.”
- Authenticate and configure this integration.
- Get the Alexa Media Participant integration
- This makes all of your Alexas present up in Dwelling Assistant as “media gamers” and likewise means that you can tts (textual content to speech) to them.
- Authenticate and configure this integration.
I like to recommend going into your Alexa app and making a Multi-room Speaker Group known as “in all places.” Not solely as a result of it is good to have the ability to say “play the music in all places” however you too can goal that “In every single place” group in Dwelling Assistant.
service: notify.alexa_media_everywhere knowledge: message: Somebody is on the entrance door, this can be a take a look at knowledge: kind: announce methodology: converse
If that works, you understand you may automate Alexa and make it say issues. Now, go to Configuration, Automation, and Add a brand new Automation. Here is mine. I used the UI to create it. Notice that your Entity names could also be totally different for those who give your entrance doorbell digicam a unique identify.
Discover the format of Knowledge, it is identify worth pairs inside a single area’s worth.
…but it surely additionally exists in a file known as Automations.yaml. Notice that the “to: ‘on'” set off is required otherwise you’ll get double bulletins, one for every state change within the doorbell.
- id: '1640995128073' alias: G4 Doorbell Announcement with Alexa description: G4 Doorbell Announcement with Alexa set off: - platform: state entity_id: binary_sensor.front_door_doorbell to: 'on' situation:  motion: - service: notify.alexa_media_everywhere knowledge: knowledge: kind: announce methodology: converse message: Somebody is on the entrance door mode: single
It really works! There is a ton of cool stuff I can automate now!
Sponsor: Make login Auth0’s downside. Not yours. Present the handy login options your prospects need, like social login, multi-factor authentication, single sign-on, passwordless, and extra. Get began without cost.